Not much posting going on the last couple of months here at The Hobnail Boot which is due more to sheer laziness than any legitimate reasons. Anyways, thought I’d get back in the swing of things in the new year with our final Mumme Poll.
- Boise State
The Remaining Seven:
- Ohio State
- Georgia Tech
- Penn State
- No doubt in my mind who is the top team in the country. Sorry Boise, but you don’t get the top spot by only beating two ranked teams all year long.
- Hard to rationalize dropping Florida or Texas out of the top five when their only loss is to the champs. Doubly so in Texas’ case who was playing without its general out there (I almost said best player, but Jordan Shipley is Texas’ best player).
- On a side note, what do you think the conversation was like between Mack Brown and Garret Gilbert after McCoy went down? I’ve got a couple of thoughts. “Son, you know that first team out there that you’ve taken 5 snaps with all year? Yeah, I’m gonna need you to go in and win this thing.” Or was it more like, “Son, you know that shadow you’ve been covered in all season? I need you to step out of it.” Either way, that was a no-win situation for the kid. Kudos to Mack Brown for calming him down at the half. Kid played like his hair was on fire in the 2nd half.
- On a similar note, I can’t justify dropping TCU out of the top five for losing to Boise.
- I seriously considered dropping Cincinnati out of the top twelve from their “performance” in the bowl game. Of course I realized that one game does not an entire season make and realized that they still were one of the twelve best teams this season. But seriously Cincy, Mississippi State put up more fight against the Gators and they didn’t even go to a bowl game. Disgraceful performance from a team that was emotionally damaged after losing their coach.
- The others were pretty much “pull out of the hat” variety. Beyond Cincinnati, there weren’t six other teams that were clearly the “best of the rest”.
- As much as it would have pleased me to drop Georgia Tech for the egg they left in Miami, I couldn’t do it. Who do I replace them with? The Virginia Tech team that they defeated in Atlanta back in October? Tech still had a good season. Now if they could do something about that defense…
Anyways, those are my thoughts. Feel free to agree or disagree.